Saturday, August 22, 2015

What is a Makerspace?

So, I've been at inservice all week and there has been mention of our Makerspace several times throughout the week.  Finally the question came up.... What is a Makerspace?  What a question!!... it's so difficult to answer quickly and simply.

But first let me back track, I first started playing around with the idea of creating a Makerspace at my school after I attended the Create, Make, Learn Institute last summer.  When my neighbor offered up a space to put our green screen, I accepted and even spoke to him about developing a Makerspace for the next school year (this year).  The opportunity to take over the perfect space for a Makerspace came up and I jumped at the chance.  When I attended the institute this summer I wasn't really anticipating to have my school's Makerspace up and running for this school year.  However, after attending Create, Make, Learn this summer I knew that I had to, the institute is so inspiring and motivating and passing along this opportunity to my students became a priority.

To be completely honest I wasn't expecting the cleaning and organizing of the space to take quite as long as it did.  I've had a lot of positive feedback and already some requests for teachers to either collaborate with me to use the space or to use the space on their own.  It's actually quite exciting, the band teaching is hoping to access the space to have his class make their own instruments!!  The other cool thing that came up this week is that one of the English teachers asked if she could borrow some pliers and wire, both of which I have plenty of.  I was happy to lend the tools to her which got me thinking that I should start my own tool library (like in Zero to Maker) for our school.  I was able to pass along this information to the faculty and am looking forward to everyone being able to take advantage of our Makerspace!!

So back to the question at hand.... What is a Makerspace?  I guess my initial answer is that it is a place to make, but it's not just that!  A place for people to try out new ideas, have access to equipment as well as access to people who can help, a place to fail but also to succeed!!  I'm getting ready to start putting together my Maker Application, as well as the contract (probably tomorrow).  But in the meantime, I think that I need to do some making myself.  Today I will be working on improving my ongoing Automoton project, this time I am going to use wood pieces instead of cardboard & foamboard which I have done in the past.  I will be sure to keep you update on my progress!!    

1 comment:

  1. I think that a maker space, is, as you said, a place to share knowledge - no experts or everybody is an expert. I like the collaborating atmosphere that maker spaces have.
    I, too like the idea of the tool lending library. I have always supported the ideal of a grange, where you all own the equipment, and use it when you need it, lend it when you don't!

    ReplyDelete