Monday, August 24, 2015

Slacker

I'm slacking big time, I had such good intentions to get my Makerspace application, agreement and rubric done this weekend.  What happened was, I decided to take a break and do some Making and that turned into a much larger project than I was anticipating.  I ended up entering my Automoton into the Champlain Valley Fair and totally forgot to take a picture of the finished product before I dropped it off.  But I do have some progress photos:


Essentially what you are looking at is the box which is a small shadow box (about 6" x 6") that I painted black on the inside.  There are two wooden circles for the cams of my automaton, and the wood dowel which will be cut into two pieces.


Here are the pieces after being spray painted.  The two circles now have holes in them, one was painted yellow the other was painted blue.  The dowel has been cut in half and painted, one yellow, one red.  I also painted the outside of the box white to prep it for the stripes that I will be putting on it.  I also drilled three holes into the box so that the dowels will fit appropriately.  I've got the moving mechanisms that will go inside of the box, now I need to make the part that will move outside of the box.  



I decided to draw my dancing dog on paper first, color him in, glue the drawing onto a lightweight cardboard, then cut out with an xacto knife (by far the worst and most annoying part of the project.  I had to make a front and back of the dog because he will be mounted onto a dowel that will stick out of the top of the box, he will move up and down as well as round and around.  

Here's where I really slacked because I didn't take a picture of the final automoton....grrrr.  I'm so mad at myself, as soon as I get to the fairgrounds I will be sure to take a picture and upload it here.  


Anyway, tomorrow is the first day of school so I've been scrambling to get all of the little things done that I didn't get done over the summer.  I'm hoping to devote some time tomorrow afternoon to at least get a first draft of my agreement done.  I also really need to create a short hook video to show to the entire student body to get them interested in using the Makerspace.  I was planning on taking some video of the space and then show some potential projects.  If any of you have suggestions I would love to hear!!

No comments:

Post a Comment