Thursday, August 13, 2015

Makerspace?

This has definitely been the biggest project that I have taken on in my seven years of teaching.  It's been incredibly time consuming and frustrating but also incredibly satisfying.  I have officially gotten to a point where my school's new Makerspace is almost complete.  It took me about two weeks to completely clean and organize just this room.  I uncovered so many wonderful tools and materials that have been shoved away and have not seen the light of day for years.  It is awesome to know that all of these resources will be used for Making and helping students learn!!  Here is our new Makerspace!!
  




I still have some decorating to do, we have a wonderful frame hanging from the ceiling that we will be able to hang projects from.  The tables that are underneath the smaller windows will be home to a computer station with a vinyl cutter and 3d printer.  I also hope to gain a sewing machine, since our sewing classes are no longer offered and the machines are in a closet not being used currently.  

So, what's next?  I'm very excited to make this space available to all of the students in my school and this is where the challenge lies.  How exactly can I make the space available to all students and ensure that they are using is appropriately and respectfully?  Luckily my school has what is called an AT (Academic Time) period every day of the week.  Students essentially choose where they would like to go to during this period so they can meet with specific teachers and get help when needed.  I think what I would like to do is first present the idea of the Makerspace to the entire school at our first school wide assembly.  This will be a brief overview of what the space is about and hopefully hook students (I'm still figuring out how to hook them! if anyone has ideas I would be happy to hear!).  Once students are aware of the Makerspace they will have the opportunity to sign up for a Makerspace orientation which I will offer 2-3 times a week over the course of the first month of school during AT period.  

What will the Makerspace Orientation look like?  Essentially I will be showing students what the Maker Movement is all about and how they can get involved in Making.  Students will then be given the opportunity to apply to be a Maker, they will need to express their interest in making and explain to me what they might be interested in pursuing.  Students who do not have an idea in mind will be given the option to come and tinker with the kits that we have available and then decide if they would like to continue.  Once students have been accepted as a Maker they will then have the option of coming to Maker Fridays which I will run every Friday.  Students will need to maintain their grades in all classes and will also sign an agreement to respect the Makerspace and each other while using the space.  If students do not follow the rules and agreement they will no longer have access to the space.  

I am in the early stages of developing an application for interested students, an agreement, as well as a rubric for the use of the space.  I'm hoping that I will have a group of students interested in using the space collaboratively and learning not only from their own explorations but also their peers.  

2 comments:

  1. Carly your students are going to be so blown away. I would imagine if many of these things haven't been offered in a while the novelty alone will get them hooked, but once in the space and making with you an their peers word will get around. What if you did a quick highlight video of images or short clips of all of the possibilities this space can provide. Something to the likes of a commercial where you display the content rapid fire, which they are used to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is such an exciting space.

    ReplyDelete