Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Kinetic Sculpture exploration

I was busy over the weekend trying to decide what I should put my efforts toward for my final project and decided that I just needed to start playing.  I took out some of my crafting and art supplies and starting working on a prototype for a kinetic sculpture.  The idea for this project was prompted by my work with Servos and how I might be able to incorporate this into an art project/sculpture.  My idea is loosely based on a pinwheel-like structure that would be attached to a Servo motor, going first in one direction and then in the other.  At the end of each arm of my structure there would be another smaller pinwheel-like attachment that would move in reaction to the larger arm.  Here is a video of my initial prototype which I created using thumbtacks, popsicle sticks, beads and hot glue.  I attached it to an awl to help simulate the motion of the servo motor.


As you can see things didn't go quite as planned (nothing new), I had a really hard time getting all three of the smaller pinwheels to move.  I was really only able to get the green one working.  I would say that I messed with it for about an hour and a half and wasn't able to get all three moving the way I had envisioned.  I'm not entirely sure that I have the kind of patience to pursue this type of project at this moment in time.  With school starting in less than two weeks I have a lot of work setting up my classroom and Makerspace! 



1 comment:

  1. I think there are several of us at the same phase where we have ideas of what might work and could use some common playing time.
    I'm going to call a Kintentic Sculpture day in September sometime for those of us who are all exploring individually. Might be more fun to do together.

    ReplyDelete